Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Musical Inspiration - Or at least some lyrics

Below are the lyrics from Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Pirates, an early inspiration for wanting to do a pirate game someday that has lead to what you see on this blog.  Will knowing some of these lyrics be of any benefit in the game?  If you'd like an answer to that question, you've first to have a conversation with a cat, the one with nine tails!


PIRATES
Who'll make his mark 
The captain cried 
To the devil drink a toast 
We'll glut the hold 
With cups of gold 
And we'll feed the sea with ghosts 
I see your hunger for a fortune 
Could be better 
Served beneath my flag 
If you've the stomach 
For a broadside 
Come aboard my pretty boys 
I will take you and make you 
Everything you've ever dreamed 

Make fast the guns tonight we sail 
When the high tide floods the bay 
Cut free the lines 
And square the yards 
Get the black flag stowed away 
The turk the arab and the spaniard 
Will soon have pennies on their eyes 
And any other laden fancy 
We will take her by surprise 
I will take you and make you 
Everything you've ever dreamed 

Six days off the cuban coast 
When a sail ahead they spied 
A galleon of the treasure fleet 
The mizzen lookout cried 
Closer to the wind my boys 
The mad eyed captain roared 
For every man that's alive tonight 
Will be hauling gold aboard 

Spare us the galleon begged 
But mercy's face had fled 
Blood ran from the screaming souls 
The cutlass harvested 
Driven to the quarter deck 
The last survivor fell 
She's ours my boys 
The captain grinned 
And no one left to tell 

The captain rose from a silk divan 
With a pistol in his fist 
And shot the lock from an iron box 
And a blood red ruby kissed 
I give you jewelry of turquoise 
A crucifix of solid gold 
One hundred thousand silver pieces 
It is just as I foretold 
You, you see there before you 
Everything you've ever dreamed 
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/e/emerson+lake+palmer/pirates_20049800.html ] 
Anchored in an indigo moonlit bay 
Gold eyed 'round fires 
The sea thieves lay 
Morning, white shells 
And a pipe of clay 
As the wind filled their footprints 
They were far, far away 

Our sails swell full 
As we brave all seas 
On a westward wind 
To live as we please 
With the wicked wild eyed woman 
Of portobello town 
Where we've been told 
That a purse of gold 
Buys any man a crown 
They will serve you and cloth you 
Exchange your rags 
For the velvet coats of kings 

Who'll drink a toast with me 
I give you liberty 
This town is ours - tonight 

Landlord wine 
And make it the finest 
Make it a cup for a sea dogs thirst 
Two long years of bones and beaches 
Fever and leaches did their worst 
So fill the night with paradise 
Bring me peach and peacock 
'till I burst 
But first, I want a soft touch 
In the right place 
I want to feel like a king tonight 
Ten on the black 
To beat the frenchman 
Back you dogs 
Give them room to turn 
Now open wide sweet heavens gate 
Tonight were gonna 
See if heaven burns 
I want an angel on a gold chain 
And I'll ride her to the stars 
It's the last time 
For a long, long time 
Come the daybreak we embark 
On the flood of the morning tide 
Once more the ocean cried 

This company will return one day 
Though we feel your tears 
It's the price we pay 
For there's prizes to be taken 
And glory to be found 
Cut free the chains 
Make fast your souls 
We are eldorado bound 
I will take you 
For always, forever, together 
Until hell calls our names 

Who'll drink a toast with me 
To the devil and the deep blue sea 
Gold drives a man to dream

No comments:

Post a Comment